2 years: 3 semesters at SPbPU + 1 semesters at a partner university (optional)
for Russian students – 190 000 RUR/year;
for foreigners – 280 000 RUR/year.
- Download a Brochure of Master Degree Programme «Power Plant Engineering»
- Download a Courses Description
- Download a Program of the Entrance Examination
The Master Degree Programme in Power Plant Engineering comprises a wide range of power engineering subjects aimed at theoretical and practical training.
The programme is implemented with the participation of leading professors of St.Petersburg State Polytechnic University and other leading Russian and foreign universities. All lectures and seminars are delivered in English.
OBJECTIVE OF THE PROGRAMME
The master degree programme has been developed to train highly qualified professionals to design, operate and maintain power plants.
Upon graduation the participants will become proficient in the field of modern energy sector. Our graduates of “Power Plant Engineering” Master Programme are highly-trained professional engineer capable of the analysis, evaluation and implementation of the state-of-the-art technical solutions aimed at improving the energy efficiency of power plants. Our graduates develop practical skills and professional competences in the design and operation of power plants, including construction, commissioning, start-up and management; and the capability to simulate and analyze the operation of power plants with the use of up-to-date sophisticated software.
The Master’s degree program in accordance with the requirements of the FSES of HE for “Heat Power Engineering and Thermal Engineering” major 13.04.01 is aimed at the development of Master’s students personal qualities, general cultural and general professional competences, as well as the formation of professional skills required for highly qualified specialists solving problems in the field of design, installation and operation of energy objects (Thermal power plants) and enabling graduates to work in the academic, scientific and professional field.
In accordance with the EP graduates requirements to the, denoted in the FSES HE, the qualification objectives of the SP are the following:
QO 1. Formation of project design skills in the field of heat power engineering and thermal engineering (PC-1, 2).
QO 2. Formation of research skills in the field of heat power engineering and thermal engineeringи (GPC-1, 2; PC-7).
QO 3. Formation of skills in organization and management activities at energy industry enterprises (GC-2; PC-8, 9, 10).
QO 4. Formation of skills in production and technology activities at energy industry enterprises (PC-3-6).
QO 5. Formation of skills in competent presentation of research and technology information both orally and in writing, in particular skills in a foreign language (GC-1, 3; GPC-1-3).
QO 6. Formation of teaching skills, readiness for further education (PC-11).
The qualification objectives are fully compliant with the mission of the University, which, among other things, include training of highly qualified engineering personnel,, capable of addressing new complex industry-related tasks, and and are ready to bring the Russian economy to the next level. SPbPU aims to prepare specialists with system and global thinking; possessing both specialized and inter-, multi-, trans-national knowledge, skills and abilities; prepared for continuous learning and self-improvement.
The competences consider:
- The existing FSES HPE by major 13.04.01 “Heat Power Engineering and Thermal Engineering” (Master’s level) N 1499 as of 21 November 2014.
- European standards and guidelines (ESG) for quality assurance of educational programs,
- SPbPU and its partners, as part of the EU project Erasmus+ “On-line quality assurance of educational programs” (EQUASP) have developed a document “Standards and Guidelines for Internal Quality Assurance of Educational programmes”. The aim of the document is the harmonization of national and European standards to ensure the quality of educational programs and the use of standards designed to ensure the quality of educational programs in Russian universities. The document was approved by the Russian Ministry of Education and Science and is recommended to be used in Russian universities.
Expected learning outcomes formulated in terms of competencies of graduates, the relevant to the requirements of the FSES of HE in the major and the profile of training, professional standards and the needs of the labor market and and requirements of the international standards. When developing the EP, as well as the learning objectives and outcomes, we relied on international experience: meetings were held with the coordinators of educational programs at partner universities abroad, to determine requirements for the MOS already at its stage of development to ensure its maximum effectiveness and relevance on the international market of educational services.
- The programme provides our students with:
- extensive interaction between lecturers and students during scientific and research work;
- the profound knowledge and wide network of international contacts for further careers in top positions in energy companies;
- tours to industrial facilities.
- The programme gives foreign students the opportunity to study in international and multinational academic environment, be involved in extracurricular activities at the University;
- Unique opportunities for international academic mobility. One semester abroad in one of the partner universities. The program gives a lot of opportunities for academic mobility during the second or third semesters. Academic students semester mobility at foreign universities is supported by the federal academic excellence program “5-100-2020” of the RF Ministry of Education and by foreign scholarship programs, such as FIRST, DAAD and ERASMUS+. Academic mobility of students is provided in four major areas:
- Germany: Munich (Technical University of Munich) – Master’s program “Power Engineering”; Hannover (Leibniz University of Hannover) – research work in the laboratories of the Institute of Turbomachinery and Fluid Dynamics.
- Finland: Lappeenranta (Lappeenranta University of Technology) – Master’s program «Energy Technology».
- Italy: Milan (Politechnico di Milano) – Master’s program «Energy Engineering».
- Spain: Valencia (Politechnic University of Valencia) – Master’s program “Energy Technologies for Sustainable Development”.
Bachelor’s, Specialist’s or Master’s degree in a relevant area is required / English language proficiency - B+ (CEFR B2) / Exam Test in a relevant field of studies / Interview in English with a program coordinator (Skype option is available)
Professors and associate professors of St. Petersburg State Polytechnical University and other leading Russian and foreign universities. To realize the program, the following visiting professors, employed by SPbPU, are regularly involved: Esa Vakkilainen (Lappeenranta University of Technology), Jari Backman (Lappeenranta University of Technology), Jörg Seume (Leibniz University of Hannover), Pietro Zunino (University of Genova), Harald Schwarz (Brandenburg University of Technology Cottbus-Senftenberg).
Leading teachers from the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria, Zhejiang University, Eindhoven University of Technology, Czech Technical University in Prague, University of Madras are invited to teach specific parts of some professional courses and provide practical training.
CURRICULUM (GENERAL MODULES):
|Ethical and Language Skills||6.5|
|Electrical Power Engineering Courses||8|
|Civil Engineering Courses||7|
|Economics and Management Courses||7|
|Master’s Thesis, Scientific and Research Work||30|
- Finland — Lappeenranta University of Technology
- Germany — Leibniz Universität Hannover
- Russia — TGC-1; Power Machines; State Atomic Energy Corporation “Rosatom”
Our graduates become plant engineers, and typically work for power plants and manufacturing establishments. They may start with entry-level positions, which often deal with maintenance and repair of plant equipment, and further they can be promoted to senior managerial positions, or to continue their studies in doctoral programs.
Coordinator of the programmes (Energy Technology, Power Plant Engineering)
Telephone: +7 (999) 208 31 63
For more information, please, contact the Admission Office:
Address: 195220 Russia, St. Petersburg, 28 Grazhdansky pr.
Institute of International Educational Programs
Admission office, room 228
Tel.: +7 (812) 606-62-41
Fax: +7 (812) 534-13-65
Head of admission office for international students
Manager of Admission office for international students